Thursday 17 July 2014

Match of the Day: Cesaro vs Regal

William Regal vs Antonio Cesaro - NXT, 25/12/2013

This week I've picked something that is a little more up-to-date than the previous couple of weeks offerings. This is from over the Christmas period from the end of last year.

If you want some top wrestling action and Raw isn't quite doing it for you, you'd do a lot worse than tune into NXT (either via the Network or find it online) where wrestling seems to matter over the 'sports entertainment' aspect. This is particularly apparent with the current NXT Champion, Adrian Neville, who is undoubtedly a very talented wrestler, but isn't quite the sports-entertainer that he'll need to be to make the step up to the main roster. But I digress...

The match that I have chosen this week is a great mat-based, technical bout between two of the best - one who's been there and seen it all, and one who is just starting out with regards to the bigger leagues of American wrestling (WWE). BOTH are more-than experienced and skilled in what they do, however.

Since this match, I have witnessed similar, mesmerising encounters on the UK scene with Zack Sabre Jr taking on Pete Dunne and Low Ki (both at different Triple X Wrestling shows). I still can't put my finger on what exactly kept me enthralled. Maybe an appreciation for the story being told and the battle that was happening in front of me at the time?

Whatever the reason, I found all of these matches really easy to watch and, also, easy to get immersed in. I felt as if I would be missing out on something by missing a single hold or sequence.

First of all, watch the promos by both Regal and Cesaro, then enjoy their match (third video down):


















I'm pretty sure that these guys didn't use the ropes ONCE throughout the match. How often do you see that these days and STILL enjoy a match?

Great stuff...

@jimmosangle

No comments:

Post a Comment