Thursday 3 July 2014

Match of the Day: Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect


After a discussion, round a mate's house, about our favourite wrestling matches, I've decided I'll throw a few of my favourites on here. To kick this off, I'll start with the match that got me into wrestling. I'm not sure if I was a Bret Hart fan before this match or if this is what made me one, but their Summerslam (1991) match entertained the sh*t out of me and still makes my hair stand on end!

Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect - Summerslam 1991

I have always been a Bret Hart fan and this was his first crowning glory for me. It was the start of his ascent to the top of the WWF. It was also from a time when the Intercontinental Champion was a fighting champion; a wrestling champion. Whilst the main event was filled with attractions like Hulk Hogan, The Ultimate Warrior and The Undertaker, the mid-card had Bret, Perfect, Piper and eventually Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon would continue the trend of the belt being contested in the 'workhorse' match on the card. To be the Intercontinental Champion, in some ways, was more important than the World title; to be trusted with this belt was a sign of where you should go in the company. Obviously, some fell at this hurdle, too, but for the most, the Intercontinental Championship was a great challenge to see if you could make that next step up.

@jimmosangle

No comments:

Post a Comment