Friday 12 October 2012

WWE Raw highlights 8/10/2012

Little bit late in writing this post this week, here goes...

Just when you start to miss Cena, he comes out to start the show. I suppose they have to keep his face about enough to show he's still got a shot at Hell in a Cell. The most interesting thing about this opening segment (apart from the usual wonderful ass kissing to the audience) was the passing on the ramp between Cena and the 'ready for action' Ryback - again, a nod to the possibility he'll have something to do in the Hell in a Cell match if Cena's not fully fit.

Ryback then went on to beat the Colons (Primo & Epico) in another handicap squash match. I'm not a big fan of using a tag team (as apposed to jobbers) to get someone over - especially when they're really pushing the tag division as a credible part of the show these days. The only thing to save this situation was JBL's attempt to justify the win, saying that Ryback has beaten a very talented, multi championship winning tag team. Hmmm...

Next comment I'll make is on the Brodus Clay / R Truth / Lil' Jimmy 'dance'. I'll keep this short - I died a little inside over this. It reminded me of Road Dogg and The Godfather opting to go off with the hoes instead of fighting, or every week when someone would dance with Rikishi. I suppose the more limited opportunities R Truth gets, the better, in my opinion.

A new layer to Punk was seen this week as he told the 'ironic' fans he didn't need their cheers/support. Nice touch sir! As much as I love the things he does every week, it almost seems like he's as desperate for people to hate him as Cena is for them to love him (which just isn't going to happen in either case).

Other notes on the 'State of WWE' segment were Vince going down like a girl to one little slap! (who shot him?), Heyman trying to be the voice of reason - I suppose Paul knows not to mess with Vince after previous dealings. I'm not so sure about Vince's claim that the money/success is coming from the WWE Universe... I think you'll find that would be from a guy called CM Punk!

Nice length match between Sheamus and Wade Barrett. I'm really liking that WWE seem to know that they need to give Sheamus some new contenders (Barrett this week; Sandow last; Big Show at HIAC) instead of the boring stuff between him and Del Rio. Tensai also got a showing - I hope he can shake of the 'Albert' tag with this gimmick.

The Cesaro vs Tyson Kidd brings me to my main point of this weeks Raw - displaying the future stars and up-and-comers. These two had a solid match, and even though it was a predictable Cesaro win (loving the uppercut and Neutralizer finisher), I think Kidd came out of it looking good, too.

I think the tag division adds to this future stars theme, too. With the exception of the Colons being devoured by Ryback and Kofi jobbing for the benefit of Del Rio, the rest of the tag teams are really making it enjoyable to watch. It was really needed for Raw to go forward with the 3 hour slot.

The Prime Time Players are the most underrated team there at the moment, Rey and Sin Cara are a nice match but I can see them having a feud at some point and the standouts have got to be Damien Sandow and Cody Rhodes (Rhodes Scholars). Along with Ziggler, these guys are THE future of this company. I fully expect Rhodes and Sandow to become number 1 contenders and probably beat Kane / Daniel Bryan.

Other segments that stood out to me were the Vince/JR 'heart to heart', Kane and DB's comedy continues with the Larry King part and strangely; did Kofi attack Miz in a heel-like, unprovoked manner?

Lastly, I really liked the last little part of the show where Vince gave Punk the Attitude Era-like ultimatum about who he'll face at HIAC. I think what's been missing for all this time is Vince being the authority figure. When he's about decisions seem to matter; unlike the long list of crappy GMs over the years!

No comments:

Post a Comment