Monday 22 September 2014

The Positives and Negatives of Grand Slam Wrestling (Ravenhill/Mason)


This weekend was one of them busy ones where I thought it would be a great idea to go to two shows and then write up the reviews for both. This all equals having not much of a weekend left, but in the case of this one just passed, it was well worth it! From a wrestling point of view, this weekend wasn't ever going to fail – Saturday I saw the likes of Martin Kirby, 'Flash' Morgan Webster and El Ligero alongside some of the best there is in the Bristol area (see the link) and on Sunday I saw James Mason, 'Returing from a WWE tour' Stevie Starr, and one of my favourite comedy heels, Mean Tommy Dean.

As much as I love going to CHAOS or PROGRESS shows – quite possibly my two favourites at the moment – I love going to see shows put on by Alan Ravenhill and James Mason. You just cannot go wrong with these types of shows. On a side note, I NEVER know what to call these shows?! I'm pretty sure it's called 'Grand Slam Wrestling' but then I hear it referred to as 'Superstars of Wrestling' (not to be confused with the SUPERCARDS that are on offer down Gloucester way...). It could also be called 'Welsh Wrestling' (in England?) but that's who I always think this is 'in association with' and all that...

Anyway, what it is is a great afternoon of wrestling for all the family (urgh, I feel like I'm promoting it on the radio or something?!). Like my other review this weekend, this review will probably be a complete ass kissing affair, too! What I want to try and get across here, though, is why this particular show is quite possibly one of the BEST in the country without doing anything massively fancy. And I can imagine what some of the die-hard fans of other promotions will think to that comment; 'he's talking sh*t' or 'my promotion has eight matches and there's loads of dives and stuff' and other hugely hilarious crap like that.

Let the kissing-up commence...

Positive: A Nice Surprise...
When I've attended Alan and James' shows in the past, there hasn't been what I'd call a great turn out for them. I'd have thought that there's been around the 80 mark at other shows, and that's not bad considering they don't really use any online advertising (not that I can find, anyway!). The advertising is somewhat old-school with flyers, posters and radio plugs. I think it's sometimes hard to grasp what the single best way to promote a wrestling show is but I've always liked the idea of handing out and posting flyers to people – it's got a personal touch to it; you've made that first connection with a potential show-goer and made it seem that you want that individual to come to your show. Anyway, when we walked into the hall of the Bracknell Leisure Centre, I was pleasantly surprised to see a good-sized crowd ready for some wrestling. In situations like this I don't really do a proper headcount (sometimes I'm not THAT sad...) but scanning around, I think there was around 150; pretty good for a one-off show.

Positive: Headset Hank McCoy
This weekend I really wanted to give my pal, Hank McCoy a shout out. On Saturday he was slightly annoyed at a Twitter comment that suggested that he was 'annoying'. Whoever sent that tweet has no idea; you see him every now and then at a show, I have to put up with him every week?!

Jokes aside, Hank had a tough start to this show as the microphone decided to be a bugger, resulting in him having to shout the announcements out to the audience. I was at the back and could just about hear him so it was a good effort to get the required information out there until a headset was sorted for him to use for the remainder of the show. I kind of hoped that he would wear it like he was Britney Spears but that never happened!
Here's Hank with a crap example of my point
Saturday's annoyance at people questioning his work in tweets (not as bad as I'm making it out to be!) and his professionalism on Sunday all makes me think that this guy is so underused in British wrestling. Yes, I'm completely biased because he's my mate, but Hank McCoy (if that is your real name?!) doesn't just announce people for their matches; he doesn't just shill merchandise and backstage passes; he works his ass off from before doors open until the last person leaves because he understands that he has a job to do; an IMPORTANT job that is completely overlooked by a lot of promotions in the UK. I'm not writing this to get him booked anywhere, I'm simply pointing out that if you have a Hank McCoy (which you don't) on your show then you've already got a great presentation that will attract fans back the next time.

Negative: Because I Need One Somewhere!
I need to admit something. I f*cking hate 'Rockin' All Over The World' by Status Quo. I really do. In my lifetime I have heard it thousands of times and I'm sure generations and generations before me hated it too when it came out in 1875. But I kind of love it a little bit when James Mason enters to it (does that sound naughty to anyone else, or have I just got a dirty mind?). It's such a happy, clap-along, babyface song that it works so well. God damn you, James, for making me like Status Quo a little bit...

Positive: A James Mason Opener
This will never, ever be a negative. If you need someone to open your show then book James Mason (he's got a lightening strike on his singlet that makes him go faster!). I have never seen a bad opener involving James Mason (apart from against Justin Sysum, but that must've been Justin's fault!) and I don't think I ever will. It's one of the most important things to get right on a wrestling show and James never fails to deliver.

And then there's Tommy Dean.

I wish I hated Tommy when he comes out for a match, but I never do. I just find myself laughing at his 'manliness' or whatever he calls it. I'm in awe of his chiselled physique and 28-inch biceps. He is a wrestling god. I'm glad to say that he makes a James Mason Opener that much better, because James has to beat someone, right?

Positive: Why I Think That This Show Is One Of The BEST In The Country
Let me get to the point here. I've looked forward to going to one of these shows because I knew it would be my favourite to do a review on. This show was made for doing a positives and negatives post on as it highlights one of my key beliefs when it comes to British wrestling.

This shows layout is the layout that should be used more. Match one was a simple, flowing affair that gets the audience involved, wakes them up and gets them ready for the night ahead. Match two slowed things down a touch and got the audience ready for match number three, where, on this occasion, there was a big shiny belt to look at and say 'OOOOOOooooooooo' in amazement. After the hard-hitting championship bout there was an interval so everyone could regroup, get a drink, and the kids could recharge their batteries before screaming their lungs out for a further two matches (yes, just two matches in the second half – don't overdo it and kill your crowd's energy by making them sit through a WWE-amount of matches; you're NOT WWE in so many ways so don't copy them!).

This consisted of a match to remind everyone it's time for wrestling again (congrats to Jutler and Tagori for that) and then the main event which saw a tag team contest between four 'backstage brawlers' from ealier in the night. The heroes win, the villains get laughed at and get chased out, and your audience leave knowing that good prevailed over evil. How f*cking difficult is that to do? Not very.

One of the best things about this layout was something that Chris Walker (Magnums) pointed out to me in the car ride home from CHAOS on Saturday: people need to understand their position on the card; if there's a powerbomb in the first match then how is your main event going to top that, for example? Instead of getting all of one's 'sh*t' in because it's your 'opportunity' to shine and blah blah blah, how about just doing your job in your designated part of the show. If you get to the main event one day, do as many powerbombs as you like.
The Smiling Psycho (does that work?)
Positive: This Kade Callous Fellow...
I'd never seen Kade Callous before. I think he's a Welsh Wrestling regular (right?) and that's one of the shows that I'd like to check off the list so I'm sure I'll see him again. Just a quick note here about him; I really liked his crazy-smile-to-angy-psycho look that he did throughout the afternoon. I think it's something he does well and, for me, it's unique to do it AND do it right.

Positive: New Attire
Just lately, I'm blown away that James Mason seemed to have a new singlet – the one with a lightening strike on them – and NOW I'm even more blown away that Tagori – the Japanese Warrior with matching music – also appears to be sporting new gear since the last time I saw him?! Maybe they could tag sometime? (I genuinely feel dirty for attempting such a crap joke...)

Results
  • James Mason (w/Status Quo) defeated 'Mean' Tommy Dean
  • JD Knight defeated Antonio De Luca
  • British Heavyweight Championship: 'Returning From A WWE Tour' Stevie Starr (c) defeated Kade Callous
  • Tagori defeated Kay Jutler
  • Stevie Starr and Antonio De Luca defeated Kade Callous and JD Knight

I should point out that I've given Stevie Starr the moniker 'retuning from a WWE tour' because I think it is both genius and hilarious that it's used to introduce him! Sometimes I just sit here and amuse myself...
I couldn't find a picture of Tagori, so here's Tajiri (close enough)
Anyway, what a fantastic show this was. It's amazing how such a simple show can get just as good a reaction as some of the regularly-run shows that there are around the country. I really hope that I have conveyed this in this post as it really is pleasing to see a show that sends you home in a good mood with the least amount of effort (not to say that there wasn't effort from the performers, but it seemed so effortless to get the appropriate reactions throughout the afternoon!).

If you can get to a Ravenhill/Mason/Grand Slam Wrestling/Whatever They Call It show then I urge you to. It is a fantastic family afternoon of simple-to-follow wrestling, with lots of laughs and a great feel-good ending... unless Tommy Dean is main eventing, of course...

Support British Wrestling

@jimmosangle

No comments:

Post a Comment