Monday 8 September 2014

The Positives and Negatives of EAW: Caged Warfare

I've been very fortunate that a lot of people have welcomed my 'positives and negatives' posts when doing show reviews. On the back of this, I have had invites to a few shows to give my view on what I like and didn't like. I'm grateful to them and applaud them for having the bottle to take any constructive criticism that might come their way. Obviously, I can't stress enough that they can take it or leave it – let's face it; I'm a nobody – if you're confident in your show and what you're doing then great; If you see that what I offer is complete crap then carry on with what you're doing.

I just hope, in some way, that I can highlight something that you didn't spot and change it for the better.

Anyway...

This weekend was a bit of a stacked one for me for a change, with NBWA in Banbury on Saturday evening (see link) and then a kind invitation from Nick Ashberry to come up to Rushden to see his EAW (Extreme American Wrestling) show and give my thoughts. I spoke to Nick over Facebook and really liked the way he described EAW and what his shows are about.
Positive: The Pemberton Centre, Rushden
The venue was pretty easy to find. Unlike visiting Southside a few weeks ago, we took a more direct route to Rushden to ensure that we got there on time and there were no country roads to overcome! As we walked into the hall of the centre, it was an impressive sight: the ring (obviously), plenty of seats around and a very good set-up on the stage, where the wrestlers would enter from. This looked like a wrestling show and was a great positive before the show even began. And yes, the ceiling was VERY high – Jimmo = happy.

Positive: Know Your Role, Fans
As we got a drink from the bar, Nick (Owner, MC, Ring Announcer...) was on the mic to give the fans some direction on what they should do during the show; basically, when the heels come out you 'BOO!' them and when the babyfaces come out you 'YAY!' them. This wasn't really needed, as the audience seemed to know what they should do, but it was a nice touch. USUALLY I would hate this but this is a largely family orientated show so it's probably a good move to involve them early on and iron-out any confusions they would have in making any sort of noise. Luckily, the Pemberton Centre was filling up nicely, and when you have a big attendance they feed off each other and get comfortable making noise. I couldn't say for sure how many were there but it must have been easily over 200.

Positive: This Is Going To Sound Picky...
At the previous night's show (and NO, this isn't going to be a comparison post) there was a 'pre-show match'. EAW gave us a 'free match' before the show. I can understand if this is seen that I'm being picky but, for me, a simple thing like having a pre-show match and calling it one thing rather than another is a big deal. By calling it 'free' you are 'giving' the fans something for nothing – that sounds a hell of a lot more appealing than calling it a straight-up 'pre-show match'. That just makes it seem that you're copying a well-known American company... very small thing but I instantly noticed the wording and how that made me feel as a paying customer – it was nice that I was seemingly getting something for nothing.

Positive: I prefer Rude Boy Matt and Rude Boy Taylor to 'Shortfuse' Matt Walker and Taylor Made
Okay, that statement isn't entirely true; I dig the WHAM! Theme music that Taylor Made has, but I can definitely do without the nipples gag every show, so it was nice that Rude Boy Matt wears a vest to cover them burger nips. I also liked the Prime Time Crew's gimmick (this was the team name that Rude Boys Matt, Taylor, and their partner Nate (?) had). I hate chavs and what better gimmick to have as heels – it works, they were hated (“dirty chavs” chants) and it's very British... that was nice to see on an Extreme American Wrestling show!
Paul Malen
Positive/Negative: Get Your Own Moves!
This is the start of me being a moany, whiny know-it-all, 'shut your mouth and just enjoy the show' blogger tw*t. There were a LOT of WWE signature moves in this match and it bothered me. And that's not a bad thing! For me, I didn't appreciate seeing an Attitude Adjustment, a Rock Bottom, I'm sure there was an RKO in there, an attempt at a People's Elbow and a 'You Can't See Me' taunt. I did appreciate the 3-D with the RKO variation to it, though; that was a little different. MORE IMPORTANTLY, the screaming kids next to me and all around LOVED all this. After all, it is Extreme AMERICAN Wrestling so why not thrown in WWE moves?!

Negative: This One's For You, Paz: The Referees
A lot of shows don't see having a good referee as a priority. I can kind of understand that as in their eyes and, for them, the fans eyes, it's all about the wrestlers. But having a sh*t referee can make a hell of a difference in a BAD way. The two referees on this show didn't look interested at all. They allowed EVERYTHING that happened and didn't show ANY authority when a heel would do something outrageous, and were far too easily distracted (the referee distraction was used a little too much early on). In the main event they might as well have not been out there as Andy Poole climbed the cage whenever he liked or slammed a door into Marc Massa's face and they just watched and allowed it. I can imagine Ref Paz watching this match and stabbing his eyes out at it! Paz, they also missed several 5-count opportunities – I know this eats you up inside!

POSITIVE (IN CAPITALS): Stixx And The Story Of The Second Match
The second match was probably my favourite of the night. I say this because I could not stop smiling at the story, the personalisation of certain moves/strikes, and the 'will he, won't he' ending to the match.

First of all, Stixx (heel) came out and explained the story so far. This was great for me – a new fan around these parts – as I had no idea who people were. Stixx explained that Blake, an EAW favourite, was getting nowhere kissing up to the fans and that he was going to take him under his wing (basically, whether he wanted it or not). Their opponents would be The Predators; Joe Connors and Paul Malen. The match would tell a great story of Stixx showing Blake 'how it's done' before Blake would reluctantly get in, do the minimum and then not like his actions. The only complaint I had was that he was a bit reluctant to WRESTLE his opponents – whether you like Stixx or not; COMPETE! Anyway, as the match went on, The Predators would keep questioning Blake about his partnership with Stixx (hey, he didn't ask for this?!) before Blake started to show signs of frustration, before grabbing a handful of tights for the win...
Stixx; excellent job on the night
On the stage, Blake would then confirm his new, and true, colours by embracing Stixx (not in that way) and stating that they were 'winners'. Blake looked a little inexperienced so an alliance with Stixx is probably a good thing for him going forward.

Oh, and the 'personalisation of moves/strikes' I referred to was in relation to The Preators. I'm not saying that they are the innovators of these but it pleased me that when they had an opponent in the corner, instead of your average, generic punches, Malen would bounce Stixx' head into the top turnbuckle a couple of times, then the middle a couple of times and then would finish the obligatory ten on the bottom turnbuckle. Good stuff. Connors' impressed me a little more with his clothesline/elbow combination strikes in the corner. Little things make it look like you have your own identity.

Positive: I Recognise Them Nipples
Hey, Super Koji, I recognise your nipples; you're not fooling anyone! AND you don't sound Japanese! I'm onto you...

Negative: Get In The Gym ASAP
I thought it, I still think it, so I have to say it... there were a few guys on the show that needed to get in the gym. I know this is the case with a lot of shows, but this is the first thing I thought when Andy Poole got into the ring and took off his 'I did not tap out' shirt (I'm guessing he did tap out at some point?). I realise that this is a family show so this won't be important to a lot of them fans as long as he gets the sh*t kicked out of him by the crowd favourite (as he did), but it's just something that stuck out to me.

Positive/Negative: Mister Monster Is A Great Character, But This Match Type Isn't Family Friendly
This is the part where I sound like an old git, and sometimes, I am. I thought the Mister Monster guy was really good. The kids loved him, he's got a... unique look. But it always screams one thing to me when a guy's 'speciality' is hardcore-style matches. I don't know the history between these guys as this was my first show, but sh*t must have gotten real if they require a Dumpster/Weapons That The Fans Bring Can Be Used match.

The fish flapping in TK Hayward's face was a good laugh and the introduction of Lego bricks (I think?) was a nice touch, too.

Supplemental positive for having the hardcore guy go for the Light-Heavyweight title!
Although this match could be family friendly if not as much stuff was used etc, this one didn't seem that way due to a couple of unsure, silly spots. As I pointed out about 'dangerous' spots on the NBWA show the night before, the table-over-the-dumpster spot where Mister Monster went into it looked like it didn't go exactly to plan. As I said previously, if in doubt, don't be an idiot and hurt yourself. I know some people in wrestling think that this is their life etc etc, but I can guarantee that you have a day job on Monday morning so make sure you can get to it. Stick more to wrestling and leave your ironing boards and decorating tables at home.

Yes, the families and kids loved this match but isn't this the type of stuff that gets wrestling in the news due to one kid hitting his sister with a frying pan or some other 'hardcore' act of violence?

Wow, that was deep... onto more positives:

Positive: The Charity Scalping And The Raffle
I'm always a little sceptical when the words wrestling and charity collection are in the same place. This was a nice touch, though, and hopefully worked towards gaining extra cash for the chosen charity (sorry, didn't catch the name of it). On last hearing, I believe that they reached the goal of £1400 which is a huge amount to generate! Well done to EAW and the guy (sorry, didn't quite catch his name, either) that got his head and beard shaved!

The raffle was the best that I'd ever seen. Usual prizes on wrestling raffles include posters, show dvds, wrestling figures and future-show tickets. All very nice prizes and gives those that win a souvenir of the show they went to. EAW gave out a poster, too, but signed by WWE's Sheamus. They also gave out Bret Hart and John Cena dvds, Bret Hart show tickets and a ring-worn John Cena armband. This all felt 'big' and went along nicely with 'American' part of the EAW name.

Speaking of the EAW name...

Positive/Negative: EAW – Extreme American Wrestling (The Name)
Before I went to the show, this bothered me a little. AT the show, I understood it and it's something I think is a simple but effective selling point. When people in this country think of wrestling they think of WWE, you know, that highly successful, long-running American company. What better way to 'sell' your show by having the word 'American' in there? I'm pretty confident that if you have that word on your poster or when you promote your show, you will have just as much interest as when you advertise an American 'star' (from the WWE, TNA or wherever else).

It still bugs me that we're in the UK so it should still be 'British' wrestling, but monetarily (I like that word this weekend!) I need to shut up!

Positive: A Steel Cage Match
What a fantastic spectacle for everyone in that venue. Where else in the country do you see an actual steel cage match? And as much as some of you laugh at that, it IS a great selling point. I remember seeing on Nick's posters about a 'Steel Cage Match As Seen On TV'... if I'm a kid and I see that then I want IN.
'Ultra' Marc Massa became the new EAW Champion
Positive: Characters Done Well
One of the best things that EAW does is the characters that it presents. Yes, there are a few, generic looking, pretty boys that look angry and a few that need to get in the gym, but there were a lot of gimmicks that were pure fun and covered for other downsides.

The Prime Time Crew and Mister Monster were two that really stood out as having a few layers to them.

POSITIVE: Nick Ashberry
There are a lot of promoters and 'promoters' that have bad reputations in this country. I'm not sure what is thought of Nick Ashberry, but I really don't care. I like Nick. He's passionate about his show and seems like a genuine fan as well as wanting to put on a great family show (with a view to making a bit of money). This is clear to see in the type of show that he puts on – it's American named and themed, and that WORKS in this country. It's not 100% my cup of tea because I would rather we adopted our own identity, but it really works for him. Nick's energy throughout the show was amazing and I challenge anyone to match it. He did the ring announcing (in a very comical, American-sounding voice); he presented the show from start to finish; he was a character on the show and he kept the audience's spirits up during the interval and construction of the steel cage. It was similar to how I view Jim Smallman at PROGRESS; there is a connection with the fans that attracts you to the show. He is the promoter, the ring announcer, and your FRIEND throughout the show that encourages you to get involved and that it's ok to cheer your heart out for your favourites. I know most promoters' place is in the back, but I love that Nick is as hands-on as he is. It's his baby and he's determined to see it grow up under his watchful eye.

Results
  • Free match: EAW Tag Team Championship: The Prime Time Crew (Rude Boys Taylor & Nate)(w/ Rude Boy Matt) defeated Andy Reign & Eric Phillips
  • EAW Academy Champion Stealth defeated Rude Boy Matt
  • Stixx & Blake defeated The Predators (Joe Connors & Paul Malen)
  • Super Koji defeated Andy Poole (w/ EAW Champion Chris Tyler) by DQ
  • Dumpster/Weapons match for the EAW Light-Heavyweight Championship: TK Hayward (c) defeated Mister Monster
  • Steel Cage match for the EAW Heavyweight Championship: 'Ultra' Marc Massa defeated Chris Tyler (c)(w/ Andy Poole) to become the new champion

I got to speak to Nick during the interval and he says that he doesn't normally listen to the internet and the things that keyboard warriors have to say. I completely understand that. I also agree that he shouldn't because most people are negative for the sake of it. There are also far too many ass-kissers out there that really don't progress anything, either.

I hope that Nick finds this helpful, or just a little entertaining if nothing else. I want to enjoy every show that I go to but have become a right old man at times that if I don't see what I like I reach for the pen... or keyboard! It's never anything personal, just my view on the British wrestling that I see. If you know that there's something dogsh*t with what you do then I'll probably say it. If it's something THAT obvious then I won't be the only one to say it (others will probably say it more privately, though).

Keep going to shows and...

Support British Wrestling

@jimmosangle

1 comment:

  1. nice article agree with everything you said especially the part about the name eaw put on a cracking show and the name to me reminds me of the early nineties hogan boom era of really shitty shows at your local leisure centre with fake undertakers and fat rip offs and thats really not what this show is about :)

    ReplyDelete