Sunday 17 March 2013

The Main Event rub

If you have ever read any of my articles, you'll notice that I go on about the future of the WWE and when, or if, it's ever going to get here. I keep on because I care that there will be a future; a future where we get top level stars on par with your Hulk Hogans, Stone Cold Steve Austins, Rocks and Cenas.

A few months ago I did an article looking at the last ten years worth of main eventers and the downfall in top, top talent that populates our main event picture. Since then, I have slightly changed my opinion as there does seem to be an effort being made, and there is a lot of talent waiting in the wings that I can see being major players in the future. Unfortunately, I wonder if these particular up-and-comers are being raised in the correct way.

Let me paint a picture; I've noticed, as everyone probably has, that there have been a hell of a lot of the same matches being booked as of late. I realise that this is the case due to the amount of hours the WWE has to fill each week in television time and as a result you would want to showcase your most talented guys. What I don't understand is the outcomes to these matches. I've taken a closer look at 'the future's' matches against the top guys and it was worse than I'd remembered when watching Raw and Smackdown on a weekly basis.

Wade Barrett
Let's take future main event stars Wade Barrett, Antonio Cesaro and Dolph Ziggler. All three men are in prominent and trusted positions within the WWE as one is the Intercontinental Champion, one is the United States Champion, and one is the World Heavyweight Championship Money-in-the-Bank briefcase winner. Now you would think that these three would be three guys that should be raised and nurtured in the right way to get them to the 'next level'. Looking at their records versus, say, the top five babyfaces tells a different story.


The following takes into account singles matches versus the top five faces in WWE (John Cena, Randy Orton, Sheamus, Ryback and the World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio) since the start of 2013 (until 16/3/2013) on Raw, Smackdown and Main Event:
  • Intercontinental Champion, Wade Barrett has faced this group eight times (Orton x4, Sheamus x2 and Del Rio x2) losing six, drawing one (vs Sheamus) and having his only win against them when he beat Orton on the 14/1 Raw.
  • United States Champion, Antonio Cesaro has faced this group nine times (Orton x5, Ryback x3 and Del Rio x1) losing eight, and having one 'no contest' (vs Orton).
  • Money in the Bank briefcase holder, Dolph Ziggler has faced this group eight times (Del Rio x4, Cena x2, Sheamus x1 and Ryback x1) losing all eight.
From this you can see that the only win that these three men have had over the top five faces was Wade Barrett's clean win over Randy Orton. This was a surprise at the time and I'm still unsure as to why it happened seeing as though he has jobbed to him every other time since.

I know there will be people that will say that the losses don't matter; that having these matches against top talent such as Randy Orton or Alberto Del Rio can only be a good thing for these rising stars; but I completely disagree. I'm in the camp that says that losses do matter - maybe the odd one here and there doesn't, but losing every encounter can't be a good thing can it? Would it really hurt to give them a few more wins against the top guys? I don't think the odd loss to Orton or Sheamus would be the end of their careers; it would show that they are mortal and that they do have a chance of losing matches. I say this because every time a match like this comes up I'm already in no doubt of who will win - in a way, I don't care to watch it because I've seen it before; I know the outcome, and I also know that Barrett, Cesaro or Ziggler will put a good showing in; but ultimately it'll be for nothing.

If these three gentlemen aren't up to standard yet, they should be put in matches that will show their dominance at the level that they're at. Put them against the likes of a Miz or a Kofi Kingston. Yes, put them against the top guys, but present this match to us every once in a while so that there could be doubt that the mid card champion could beat the next level guy; not every other week.

Dolph Ziggler
I think the most worrying stat is that Ziggler hasn't got a single win over the group in question ALL year. He will soon be the World Champion when he cashes in that MITB briefcase and will be a joke and WEAK for this build he has been given. I don't care if he 'steals the show' every time he is against them; when he becomes champion he'll start beating all of these guys as if it's normal all of a sudden. That will look laughable.

I would have added Cody Rhodes and Damien Sandow to my findings but I think we all know that their recent pasts haven't been any better!

Hope this look at the 'future' wasn't too surprising to anyone...

Pray for the 'future'.

@jimmosangle

No comments:

Post a Comment