Saturday 9 March 2013

My Weekend of (British) Wrestling 2

Saturday 9th March 2013
I spent ten pounds last night (Friday 8/3). This ten pounds I will never get back. That's not the thing that bothers me most about my night. I travelled up to Banbury (North Oxfordshire) to attend the debut of a wrestling show in Oxfordshire at Banbury United Football Club's social club. I admit, it was a risk, but one that I was willing to take to see local, British wrestling.

The federation/organisation (if you can call it that) was UWE Megaslam wrestling - a South Yorkshire based promotion.

We walked in and paid our admission. As we entered the room there was the ring, but something seemed odd about it. The ring mat had been lowered, as well as the turnbuckles being on the next rung down from where you would usually see them. This made for a very ugly looking ring. The reason for these two modifications was that the ceiling was so low that there was no other choice.

Can you see the problem with the mat?

That ceiling looks a little low...
This brings me to my main problem with the evening - organisation. This venue was clearly not suitable for wrestling. I completely understand that running a wrestling show, or any form of entertainment, costs money and you need to find 'tools' as cheaply as possible. But surely, one of the most fundamental priorities has got to be the venue? In fact, this must be the first thing that's looked into, no? Scouting of this venue was clearly not done. If it had been done - i.e checking the venue out in person - then it would have been very apparent that the ceiling was far too low. I can imagine that a phone call was probably made regarding the venue, and the reply was that the venue would have been 'fine' to use. Research done then!

As a result of this, the show suffered greatly. It must have been a problem for one of the wrestler's styles, too, as he was billed as a 'high-flyer' - any of his exciting moves would not be happening tonight then?

Speaking of talent, this was my next problem with the show. Of the three matches that we stayed for, I didn't 'get' any of the six competitors on display. The first match pitted a leopard-printed-tights-wearing camp/homosexual wrestler (the heel) vs Bully Boy Carter - a man that was supposedly a 'good guy', but came to the ring with one of the angriest/uneasy faces I've ever seen at a wrestling show. After the berating that the camp/homosexual character had given the crowd, you would expect the face wrestler to come out and defend the honour of us in attendance. No such luck. Instead, he said 'hi' to his friend in the crowd and simply got in the ring, ready for his match. Instantly, I didn't care for this wrestler. What made matters worse was that instead of tying up and wrestling, we were treated to the camp/homosexual wrestler getting out of the ring for the first five minutes of the match, and mocking the crowd.

I don't mind this type of behaviour from a heel; in fact I welcome it. The problem here was that this went on for far too long. I just wanted the guy to get in the ring and, y'know, wrestle. What was even more annoying is that the trash he was talking was at a level of a five-year-old. I understand that the WWE caters for kids, but this guy took it to a generation lower than that - poking his tongue out at kids and blowing raspberries was one of the more overused gestures that he made.

The second match pitted another camp/homosexual wrestler (another?!); who was apparently a 'Teenage Dirtbag' - he had the music and everything! He was facing the 'high-flyer' that I mentioned earlier. The third match was much the same - the heel of this match was a vicar/priest character who didn't say much or give the crowd any grief - how am I meant to hate him when he doesn't incite a response from me?

When the interval came, it was our cue to get up and leave. Although I haven't been watching British Wrestling for that long, this was easily the worst show I have seen. I really don't want to be writing things like this, though. I want to be positive about wrestling in this country - I want it to be big and improve. Sadly, shows like this are an embarrassment to this sport that we love. It gives the wrong message to people - firstly, it says that wrestling is shit in this country - and it really isn't. Secondly, it kind of gives the impression that any idiot can put a show together - this is also very untrue.

I'm off to see another show tonight in Kidlington (Oxfordshire) and I fully expect it to be a hell of a lot better. For one, the venue is of a size whereby no move is out of the question. Surely, there should be no limits with wrestling, so why have a venue that restricts the talents of the guys you're showcasing?

Support British Wrestling - organise good shows, or don't bother in the first place.

@jimmosangle

No comments:

Post a Comment