Saturday 9 May 2015

Comic Book Update


In the last couple of weeks, I have gotten through my graphic novel reading list extremely quickly! I've continued with my pre-Flashpoint 'Batman and Robin' reading, getting through volume 3 – Batman and Robin Must Die, and am about to start volume 4 – White Knight vs. Dark Knight. Along with these, I have almost finished a very enjoyable Flash title in “The Dastardly Death of the Rogues”. This will lead me onto “Road to Flashpoint” and finally “Fllashpoint” itself.

On its way to me (by post) is “Final Crisis”. Once I have finished that, I will be at the point of starting the 'New 52' stuff (with regards to Flash and Batman and Robin. I have already gotten three volumes into Batman's new 52 offerings?!).

Although I'm reading all these at a somewhat speedy rate, I'm really enjoying everything so far! It would appear that I'm in a rush to become up-to-date with my chosen heroes, but the truth is as I read more, I'm wondering what happens next and feel I need to get my next fix as soon as I can! As I said in my previous post, I've started collecting the “Convergence” issues (main) and this is the most up-to-date stuff that I've invested in. After starting the first two issues (#0 and #1), I feel that I need to see what happened previously, and that's probably why I'm getting through pre-New 52 stuff so quickly, too!

Comics and graphic novels have really grabbed me by the balls in the last few months and, especially the last couple of weeks, I'm chomping at the bit to read (and enjoy) more!

Along with my reading, I have also started to watch “The Flash” TV show (new in 2014) as another way of getting to know who's who. As much as I'm enjoying it, I can't help but find comparisons with “Smallville” from a few years ago. Some of the following examples are true to the comics as well as the TV shows, but I find it quite funny how similar both superhero's stories are:

In both The Flash and Smallville, Barry Allen and Clark Kent are brought up by surrogate parents; Barry by Joe West; Clark by the Kents; this is due to events that see their actual parents unable to be there throughout this period of their lives. Along with this, the love interests in both characters' lives are also similar in that they are both gorgeous women (obviously for TV!), who they can't seem to tell them how they actually feel about them! Added to this, both women have boyfriends who become friends with Barry/Clark (Lana's boyfriend eventually becomes friends with Clark, right?)

A third similarity is how the first seasons seem to play out. I say 'seem' as I'm only half way through the first season of The Flash! In Smallville, when Clark arrives as a baby, a meteor shower accompanies him and his ship, which in turn, results in several of the locals developing 'special abilities'. Coming across these individuals and determining whether their intentions are good or bad, take up the majority of the first season. In The Flash, instead of a meteor shower, a particle accelerator explodes, spreading a cloud of energy that gives some of the Central City natives special powers and being dubbed 'meta-humans'.

Superhero shows wouldn't be complete without villains and if you know your Superman history, then you'll know that Lex Luthor is Superman's arch-nemesis. In Smallville, he and Clark (ok, not Superman) are pretty good friends early on and I suspect the same scenario might play out for Barry Allen with regards to Dr Harrison Wells. I have my suspicions as to who he might be, but have no desire to read spoilers to know for sure, The not-knowing is part of the enjoyment! One thing I'm sure of is that Wells isn't what he seems; there are definitely some ulterior motives in play!

As I hope can be seen from this post, I'm thoroughly enjoying my journey with comic books and the other forms that spawn from them! I hope this comes across in these posts as I intend to continue updates and, maybe, inspire others to follow the same path if you, like me, have been a little disillusioned with other interests!

No comments:

Post a Comment