Wednesday 15 January 2014

My Weekend of (British) Wrestling 23 - What's to come in 2014?

It feels like forever since my last 'Weekend of Wrestling' post, but after looking through my archives I've noticed that it was only the end of November at the much needed, family fun show that James Mason and Alan Ravenhill put on in Brackley!
James Mason (photo: Superkick.co.uk)

As I've stated many times, these shows are a winner in anyone's book, and it's probably this reason that I put it in another category to anything else that I watched at the back-end of last year.

I need to make a confession before I move on into 2014: I fell out of love with British Wrestling towards the end of 2013. I think I felt a little burnt out from doing a show review after every show I went to. I contemplated stopping doing them but who am I kidding; the next show I go to WILL have a review conducted - good or bad - so I might as well pick myself up and get ready for a resurgence in 2014!

In all seriousness, a few things really bothered me about British Wrestling towards the end of last year. I'm going to do my best to not name names or promotions but it'll probably be abundantly clear who I'm talking about based on my previous ramblings! As I've stated several times (almost to cover my arse from the too-obvious comebacks that I'm likely to get on the matter) I am not a promoter, never plan to be, and have never run a show. I have, however, been around a fair few people that have. I've also got an idea of basic costs of shows. This is why I hear things, total-up costs in my head, and find myself fuming at some things in British Wrestling. It really bothers me that people do not seem to learn from their mistakes, continue to do things the same way, and believe in their own crap due to having [sort of] 'back-up' from people in 'higher places'. I can't think of a better way of putting it than that so that I don't name names...

A huge probem that really offends me (even though it doesn't directly affect me) is that some promoters still have the nerve to NOT pay the talent that have been on their show. This is completely unacceptable and it baffles me why talent would continue to work for companies where this happens.

Both of the above things had me shaking my head to the point where I had to step back and take a break... only giving Welsh Wrestling (under Mason/Ravenhill in Oxfordshire) the benefit of my time as (1) it was just up the road from me and (2) it's simple, easy to digest, good family fun that you cannot help but smile your arse off all the way through. It's well organised with no egos.

Now I've got that off my chest I wanted to focus on what I've seen in 2013 and what I'm hoping for in 2014:

2013

Last year was the first year where I went to shows on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware that I only went to shows that are fairly local to me, but still, I went to a fair few and a few different promotions.

In Oxfordshire, I went to shows in Banbury (NBWA) where I saw an underrated triple-threat match between Justin Sysum, Kenbai and Sam Wilder, as well as several other shows in the county for GSM/Welsh Wrestling. In Birmingham, I had the privilege to see the finest live match I've ever seen when Emi Sakura defeated Shanna (yes, a ladies match!) for AWW, as well as a huge babyface reaction for the usually unpopular Magnums at a Kamikaze Pro show!
The Magnums got a huge ovation at this show
A lot of my 'Weekend of Wrestling' posts were devoted to Pro Evolution Wrestling shows down in Gloucestershire (and surrounding areas), though. This is a promotion that I have a lot of time for and I am sorry that I haven't been down in a few months - this must change in 2014! I've seen a lot of good stuff on these shows, including anything The Magnums do (I have no shame in being a Magnum mark), Chris Andrews' theme music and great little matches involving Justin 'The Hammer' Sysum against Andrews, as well as one against former TNA star Doug Williams.

With the addition of The Alpha Males (Iestyn Rees and Charlie Garrett) to the tag team ranks, I expect more great shows from Pro EVW this year! (cheap plug: my interview with Iestyn is my most viewed article - give it a read, like it, and BOOK HIM on your shows - a really nice guy and top UK talent!)

2014

In 2014 I hope to get to a lot of shows as I did last year. The difference with this year is that I hope to get further a field and see something different. Ref Paz - the Safest Hands in British Wrestling - showed me a Progress Wrestling DVD a few weeks ago and this is a promotion/show that I would love to go and see. I'd also like to get up to House of Pain Wrestling in Nottingham as well as Southside Wrestling.
I'd even like to get up to Preston and see Preston City Wrestling (PCW) - a bit of a trek but one that I think would definitely be worth my time.

Basically, the aim this year is the same as it's always been - to promote British Wrestling. That being said, bad shows need to be exposed, too, and I'll continue to call them out. There's no point in sugar coating problems and saying something was good when it was complete and utter shite. By doing anything other than this would be doing British Wrestling a disservice.

Thoughts

There seems to be a debate at times about where British Wrestling is at. I completely agree that it is on the rise and doing well - we have such great talents in this country; too many to list - but we must be aware that there are a lot of cowboy promoters; WWE-wannabe promoters, if you will; that are making wrestling in this country look like a joke. That sort of thing needs to stop otherwise international talent will lose faith in us. Luckily, there are a lot of companies that are making a genuine effort to give British Wrestling a good and reputable name.

Sometimes I think that a TV deal is the only thing missing from putting us on the map in a big way in the world of wrestling. That ever happening remains to be seen as it is still a very American pastime that has been gone for a generation in this country.

Now that I have gotten through this post, I feel more positive about 2014. I think it'll be another good year for British Wrestling, hopefully making further progress and getting the good name of wrestling in this country recognised by more and more people - in this country and abroad.
Hoping to get along to one of their shows...

I look forward to getting to more shows and extending my readership - hopefully with people enjoying what I write as well as it encouraging people to get along to their local - and not so local - wrestling events.

If anyone has any views/comments or would like to get in touch over the great subject of wrestling then please feel free to comment in the field below, contact me on Twitter (@jimmosangle) or 'like' the Jimmo's Angle Facebook page!

Support British Wrestling

@jimmosangle

No comments:

Post a Comment