Tuesday 18 June 2013

My Weekend of (British) Wrestling 11

Sunday 16th June 2013 - NBWA - 'Home is where the Hart is'

I need to get something off my chest. So unfortunately this post isn't going to be a show review in terms of the matches and what went down. That's not to say that nobody put in a good performance - there were several good matches and positives to take from this show wrestling-wise. My problem, which has been a problem for me since the first show, is with the logistics of the show.

I need to make two things very clear before I get into this -
  1. I am not a promoter and I have never put on a wrestling show; 
  2. I very much want there to be a local wrestling show in Oxfordshire, the area that I live. 
My problem is that I don't think this is going to be the case if glaringly obvious things do not change. And this saddens me.

After the first couple of shows that the NBWA put on I addressed a few issues that bothered me and it appeared that small teething problems were addressed, creatively. In my opinion, this continues to improve in some parts of the show - there is some storyline progression. Well done on that aspect.

My continued issue since the first show revolves around the quantity of wrestlers being used and in some part the confusing nature of several types of match being used on the card. Maybe the reason for this is to accommodate all the talent that is booked each show.

The last few NBWA shows that I have attended have had, on average, 8 matches, 25 wrestlers and 2 managers. This is a huge amount of people working on one show! As a result of so many matches (along with promos etc) the show's duration goes from 6.30pm until around 10pm. This is a very long show. There is a lot to take on board in that time - I sometimes feel that the first couple of matches have been forgotten about by the time the main event happens - and that's a shame to them guys in them first matches as they put in effort to entertain and it could be for nothing due to the length of the night and people's attention span.

Another issue here is that this is not ideal on a Sunday night. Kids have school on a Monday morning and I can't imagine it's great for their bedtimes. I have work on a Monday morning and it can be a chore for me to get through a show of this length with all the many things and matches going on!

I've put together some stats from other shows that I've attended, as well as stats from WWE PPVs to show how simple things should and could be:
  • Pro EVW: Each show, on average, have 5 matches and use 12 wrestlers
  • James Mason/GSW/Welsh Wrestling: On average have 5 matches and use 9 wrestlers
  • NBWA: On average have 8 matches and uses 25 wrestlers and 2 managers
  • WWE in 2013 (not counting Royal Rumble): On average have 8 matches and use 20 wrestlers and 4 managers
I think these stats speak for themselves; the other shows (above) seem to have a formula; a formula that works and makes money - otherwise why do this? As much as I despise talking about this aspect of wrestling, I understand that the whole point and the main reason for putting on a wrestling show is to make money. If you're not making money then you're are simply doing it wrong. From the stats above, you can see that the NBWA are having the same amount of matches and using more workers than the WWE use (yes, this is an extreme comparison, but you get the idea).

The WWE are able to use so many wrestlers as they don't just draw a few hundred fans; they draw thousands, every show, all throughout the week. They also have several incomes and are a global force - they can afford to do this on the biggest scale. They can cover the costs of their workers and amount of matches that they put on. They also have a cast of wrestlers that the audience are familiar with - they don't need to introduce them every show as a local show might have to to a new audience.

Local shows haven't got the luxury of deep, deep pockets. This is why the majority of shows that I've been to have the above format (5 matches, 9-12 workers per show) - it's simple, it works, it entertains and makes money.

I hate to be hard on local shows but this has annoyed and baffled me for some time now. It's funny how it's our gain as fans to see so many talented guys on a show, as well as International stars (Harry Smith and Doug Williams on the last show), but it could be our loss in the long term if the cost of all this talent brings about the downfall of our cherished local promotions.

Results
  • NBWA Contract match: The Big Grizzly defeated Kenny Williams
  • 'Showcase' Stu Oddyseey & Frankie Fellasarno defeated The McCoy Family; Kristoff Walton & Scotty Riot w/ Mr McCoy
  • Handicap match: 'Shining' Johnny Searle defeated The Heavy Metal Cowboys w/ Marcus Thorne
  • Mask vs Mask match: Sancho Cortez defeated Kirk Langley
  • Loco Mike Mason w/ Rebecca defeated Mad Man Manson and Sam Wilder
  • Doug Williams & T Bone defeated Pro EVW Tag Team Champions The Magnums; 'The Filth' Chris Walker & 'Dirty' Dick Riley
  • Alpha Female & Nikki Storm defeated Kay Lee Ray & Pollyanna
  • Davey Boy Smith Jr defeated Andy Wild
  • NBWA Championship: 2 out of 3 falls: El Ligero defeated 'The Male Model' Kay Jutler (c) in sudden death to become new champion.
Support British Wrestling

@jimmosangle

2 comments:

  1. Hi - I think your comments match how I've felt about the last couple of NBWA shows. I walked away from Sunday's show feeling that something wasn't quite right - and I think it is about the amount of wrestlers and matches that are on the card. I completely missed that Loco Mike Mason had won against Mad Man Manson, for example, as there was so much going on (I would've liked to have seen more of Sam Wilder too).

    Another issue which you've raised is the length of the show - I do feel that it goes on too long, and by the main event you are actually quite tired (although I really enjoyed both the last two matches). A slight bug-bear I have is that they haven't started on time for either of the last two shows - maybe they could give themselves more time between meet + greets, training seminars, and the shows so that the wrestlers have and crew have more time to prepare?

    I hate to be critical, as like you, I'm just so pleased to have a local show that is showcasing some great talent, and beginning to get some storylines developing. I really want these guys to succeed, and for the NBWA to continue, but I do think you raise some good points above that perhaps could be considered.

    I'm just a fan, and haven't attended many 'local' British shows, so hopefully I don't speak out of turn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment - I'm just like you, too; I want a local promotion so I want the NBWA to continue and get better... I hope in some small way that this article highlights that things do need to change. It's small, basic things that are jeopardising the long term future and these need to change in order to ensure that there is a future for the promotion.

    I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels that the show goes on for too long, with too much going on. Wrestling (at local level) doesn't need to be complicated - it needs to be easy on the eye, easy on the brain and not leave you feeling exhausted; it should leave you feeling entertained and wanting to come back for more.

    Again, thanks for your comment... hope things get better and you continue to enjoy your wrestling! :)

    ReplyDelete