Sunday 25 November 2012

That Hour Of My Life I'll Never Get Back

This week I thought I'd take a look at the other shows that the WWE gives us.

Normally, I'm just a Raw guy as it's always had the top stars on it and top storylines - I think it's always been seen and presented as the WWE's number one show; Smackdown being the 'WCW' show in comparison (hence why the World Heavyweight Title is so much below Raw's main prize).

From July, Raw went to three hours and there was so much negative feeling towards this. I didn't understand why there was a need for the additional hour - at times it was a struggle to get a great show out of the two hour version that was offered before! At first it looked like there was potential in the three hour format though as the Tag Team division was given some real effort - Prime Time Players, Kofi/R-Truth and Primo/Epico were joined by a host of other teams. The addition of this division was needed if they were going to 'fill' three hours of TV a week. I also felt a Cruiserweight division could've helped and added something different but this hasn't happened yet (possibly because most of the 'high-flyers' are in tag teams).

In the last few weeks the three hour Raw is becoming a real effort to watch. The first two hours are bearable but when you realise there's a third hour to get through the life drains from you! This is why I thought I'd test out the other shows this week - can they tell a good story in a shorter time?

First I thought I'd try out Main Event. I think I picked a good episode as it had a great Miz/Ziggler confrontation/promo segment. This was followed up with an excellent match that kept me hooked - something Raw matches have failed to do for a long time. After showcasing Barrett and Gabriel in another match there was a final promo by Damien Sandow. This was a perfect set up for next weeks show (Sandow vs Cena) with Sandow delivering an awesome speech on John Cena. Overall this 45 minute show (taken out adverts) got to the point and highlighted the future (something I bang on about all the time!) - giving much needed time to Ziggler, Sandow, Barrett and a newly-face-turning Miz.

Link: Damien Sandow addresses the WWE Universe (Main Event 21/11/2012)

I then decided that I'd give NXT a try as well. This was partly because of the Rollins/Ambrose/Reigns addition to the main roster. I thought I'd check out who might be next in the developmental area to shine.

Again, this show was to the point. It goes without saying that this is the future of the WWE (or should be if everyone's doing what they're meant to be doing!). It was also around an hour of my time - not so much of a mission to watch! There ws plenty of wrestling, too - something I'm not used to!

Finally, I gave Smackdown a view. I haven't really watched the 'b' show in years (apart from reading the results and catching it if there was a worthwhile storyline that continued onto Smackdown). Again, this show got to the point; there wasn't much filler - unneeded skits - there were short and sweet interactions in the backstage area, and it didn't feel like it took up half my day watching it!

In the end, I'm still going to watch Raw - and I'm still going to bitch about it! Despite the three hour chore, it has the 'most must see superstar' - CM Punk (sorry Miz, not quite you yet!). It also has most of the other guys that you can catch on Smackdown. Hopefully somewhere down the road they'll realise that the writers are only capable of producing a half-decent two hour show and we'll get an hour of our lives back...

Other notes of these shows;
  • I'm starting to really like JBL on commentary - I remember JR really hooking me into a match and I get that same feeling when JBL gets so passionate about what he's calling!
  • Why doesn't Randy Orton need a t-shirt telling everyone that he's 'ten years strong'??
  • Excellent week for Dolph Ziggler - finally building him up the way that's needed if he's going to be seen as credible cashing that MITB briefcase in.

No comments:

Post a Comment